Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bonding over Boobies



Ladies, it is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I got my mammogram this past week and if you haven’t done so yet please make an appointment and get yours before October is over.

This was my first trip in for a mammogram where other women were present in the waiting room. All the seats in the hallway were full of ladies waiting for chest x-rays, ultrasounds, and mammograms. Conversations ran the gamut from needing to rush off to work, going through perimenopause, quick and delicious recipes, etc.

I have the privilege of personally knowing two breast cancer survivors but my experience earlier this week was a first. To physically be present when another woman, who has three teenage daughters, is dealing with the stress of breast cancer not knowing for sure what the future holds for her has made quite an impact on my life. The one thing this woman repeated to me multiple times during our conversation was “I waited too long. I waited too long to do something.”  Her words will forever be etched in my mind. I hope that no other woman will ever have to say those words. 

So ladies, I beg of you, if you have not done so yet, please don’t wait any longer, make an appointment and get your yearly mammogram. You’re worth it.

I do apologize for the title but I thought it might get your attention and I do feel that I bonded with the woman next to me because of our conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment